What is an A-Wedge?

Image result for a wedge golfThe technology of golf clubs is always changing and much of the more recent changes have been focused on wedge technology. Due to a demand for higher precision around the green, golf club makers have started to produce clubs with 50-52 degrees of loft along with the older 48 and 56 degrees of loft on a pitching wedge and a sand wedge. These new golf clubs are normally called gap wedges, or, as I recently learned, A-wedges.

What does the “A” stand for?

If you’re like me, you may have never even heard about an A-wedge until just now. Personally, I had no idea of the existence of this club until I gave a lesson to a young man about a week ago who happened to be carrying one. Eventually, after the lesson was done I got a chance to ask him what the “A” on his wedge stood for and, to my surprise, he actually gave me two answers, an “attack wedge” or an “approach wedge”. Apparently, I’m going to have to choose for myself what I prefer to call it…

Personally, I think I prefer attack wedge because that really is the purpose I have for my gap wedge (which is the same degree marking as his A-wedge). For me, when I’m about 110 yards away from the green I’m thinking of trying to stick my next shot close; I want to attack the pin.

What do you think? Have you ever heard of an A-wedge before or do you have a preference for what the “A” stands for? Either way, I’m always happy to learn something new about the golfing world!


One thought on “What is an A-Wedge?

  1. Pingback: What Wedge Should You Use and When – The Golf Academy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s